Century Farms and Ranches Web Exhibit
About the Richardson Farm
Established by John and Nancy Richardson Brown in 1848
Location: Lane County
Current Owner: Dwane K. Richardson
John and Nancy Brown, along with three of Nancy’s brothers, Benjamin, Aaron, and Clayton Richardson and their extended families, left Missouri in 1846 for the Oregon Country. After spending a couple of years in Yamhill and Polk counties, the Browns came to Lane County where they staked out their 640-acre land claim near the Long Tom River. Early livestock and crops included cattle, milk cows, sheep, hogs, chickens, horses, pasture hay, and grain.
The Richardson Family reports that the livestock and crops have not changed much over the years. For six generations the Brown-Richardson Family has also maintained a garden and orchard.