Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs Reservation
Treaty Date: June 25, 1855
Number of Members: 4,306
Land Base Acreage: 644,000 acres
Number of people employed by the Tribes: 525
Under the Corporate Charter, the tribes have established a number of enterprises owned by the tribes, but operated independently of tribal government, that contribute to the economy of the reservation. These include Warm Springs Power & Water, Warm Springs Forest Products and Kah-Nee-Ta Resort and Casino.
Points of interest
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort Lodge and Casino, Kah-Nee-Ta Village, RV Park and golf course, Indian Head Casino, and the Museum at Warm Springs
History and culture
Long before Europeans set foot on the North American continent, the three tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation – the Wasco, the Walla Walla (later called the Warm Springs), and the Paiute – had developed societies beside the Columbia River, the Cascade Mountains, and other parts of Oregon. Prior to settling on the reservation, natural food resources were so plentiful that agriculture was unnecessary for the three tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation. Salmon from the nearby Columbia was a staple for the Wasco and Warm Springs bands. The high-plains Paiutes depended more on deer and other large game. All three tribes took advantage of assorted roots, fruits and other plant life. Salmon were hauled out of the Columbia with long-handled dip nets. Roots were pulled from the ground with specialized digging sticks called kapns. Berries were gathered in ornately-woven baskets. Centuries of practice perfected these methods.
Chief Tribal Judge Anita Jackson, PO Box 850, Warm Springs 97761; 541-553-3454
2013–2016: Chairman Eugene Greene, Jr., Vice-Chair Evaline Patt, Secretary/Treasurer Jake Suppah, Paiute Chief Joseph Moses, Warm Springs Chief Delvis Heath, Wasco Chief Alfred Smith, Jr., Representatives Raymond Tsumpti, Sr., Scott Moses, Reuben Henry, Carlos Smith, Kahseuss Jackson and Orvie Danzuka